No modern home exists without electronic gadgets and a power grid. Just like with any modern amenity, electricity comes with its own risks. You probably know by now not to stick a metal fork into a power outlet or let children play near electrical wiring. There are several more important electrical safety tips every homeowner must follow. Here is a list to start learning with:
Don’t Stay in a Home with Damaged Power Cords
Are there any power cords in your home that are damaged and the wiring is showing? If so, then you are looking at a fire hazard. Damaged power cords must be immediately fixed without delay. If the protective rubber or plastic exterior is showing signs of wear and tear, don’t wait to remove the cord. Every moment you delay getting the broken power cord fixed increases the fire risk in your home. Cover damaged power cord with insulating tape and immediately call in an electrician or take it to a repair shop.
Know the Current Capacity for Your Home Grid
If you plug in way too many electrical gadgets to the system, you may risk overloading your home’s power grid. Overloads can lead to short circuits or tiny electrical explosions that lead to fires. There are other factors, possibly beyond your control, that can contribute towards overcurrent and overloading, such as thunderstorms. Modern power grids and certain appliances like A/C units are designed with fuses, which are devices that protect a system from overloading. However, fuses do get blown in operation, in which case they need to be replaced to regain protection. Learn how to identify a blown fuse and make sure you find replacements in time. There are efficient options available to consumers, such as Power Factor Correction fuses, that can actually improve upon your old fuses.
Be Careful When Keeping Appliances in the Kitchen or the Bathroom
The kitchen and the bathroom, and in some cases the laundry room, are the parts of your home where electrical outlets are most likely to come into contact with water. Water can damage wall outlets or lead to short circuits. New wall outlets are designed to shut off when a little bit of water, such as humidity, gets inside the outlet. But there’s always a risk of water splash from the sink or a shower causing a short circuit. Therefore, make sure outlets are far away from water sources in your home. Keep plugs of appliances dry and away from sources of water as well.
Properly Install Light Bulbs
Light bulbs are the most common electrical gadgets homeowners come into contact with. You don’t really need an electrician to install a light bulb. However, when you do it, make sure you tighten the bulb property. Loose light bulbs can fall on the floor and shatter, cause sparks, or short circuits putting your home at risk of fires. Don’t change a bulb without turning off the fixture completely. Energy efficient light bulbs, such as LED and CFL bulbs, are not only greener, but these are safer as well.
Mind Those Extension Cords
Extension cords are necessary for some instances, but beware how you use these. Extension cords are a trip-over hazard, which can cause damage to wiring. If you find yourself constantly using an extension cord for any purpose, it’s just safer to call in an electrician and have an outlet installed instead.
Memorise the above safety tips to make sure your home electrical system and appliances are not posing any risks to the occupants.